Friday, May 15, 2009

Waiting...







I thought it would be fun to show off my 'lumpy pot'. A friend of mine said that it reminded her a little of one of the minor Buddhas she has seen in a Chinese temple with lumps on its head. The glazes on this covered vessel are the same glazes I used on the piggy bank in my previous blog entry. This was NOT an easy pot to make, in case you are wondering. Usually after I make one of these extremely difficult pieces, I tell myself that I won't make any more that even resemble it. There are too many other shapes and procedures to experiment with, so these difficult pieces certainly become one-of-a-kinds. The mint green covered jar was a little easier to make, and I thought it turned out well. The matte glaze I used on it is a sample glaze from a different supplier than I normally use. I am happy with the results so will likely be buying a box of this glaze from them soon along with a few others.

So far I've resisted doing production pottery even though that is where one usually needs to go to make money at this. Of course, if I tell you I did a career change and resigned from a well-paying job a couple of years ago to teach and make pottery, I'm sure you can guess that I didn't pick this career path because of the ability to make lots of money. LOL. It certainly explains why one often hears about 'starving artists'.


I still am on the board of directors of the phone company we created in 1999, and as a major stockholder, I am hoping that in the next few years I can quit worrying about the 'starving' part when my investment there pays off. I just keep hoping it comes sooner than later! :D


I am waiting to hear back from Li after asking her in my EMF why her parents said no to our relationship. I'm also waiting to hear her answer if she thinks it is worth trying to convince her parents to change their minds. If she says that they will not change their minds, then there is not much more I can do except to move on and find someone else besides Li. So that's where things stand with us at the moment... in a waiting pattern with an unknown destination.


2 comments:

  1. Carl , your not alone . We are all waiting for GOOD news coming from Li .
    I know good news would inspire you so much , your Art pieces would be 10 times as beautiful as their are now . Love gives a boost to everything one does . Waiting by the way , I'm real good at that . Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. No news yet, Arnold. Thanks for the support though! Seems the waiting game is the hardest thing, doesn't it? Guess I don't have to tell you that considering you are waiting to be with your wife. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete