Thursday, May 28, 2009

Backyard




I've mowed the back yard a couple of times now this year, and am avoiding mowing off the mullen (mullein) plants that are growing in the old garden area there. They are a pretty interesting plant that will send up a tall stalk with yellow flowers sometime this summer.

The pottery piece shown was thrown as a cylindrical vessel and then a thick slip has been added to give it the textures I wanted. I am hoping spray some glaze on at an angle to help bring out the highlights even more. I'm experimenting at the moment on where and how I can utilize the slip on vessels. I tried it on the outside of a bowl, however between the weight of the slip and the moisture, the test caused the bowl to collapse. I also tried this on a bud vase I threw, but again it made the vessel collapse. I've several other ideas to test, so I haven't given up on it yet. :D

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to be late in reading you blog...just finished playing catch-up. Great blog Carl.

    ReplyDelete