Friday, January 8, 2010

Dealing with the cold, a bisque load... next up, glazing

It is so cold here lately, that I finally decided I had to do something to help keep my studio warmer. Even the clay gets too cold to handle! Since the weather outside has been below zero a lot lately, that frigid air seems to find many ways into my basement. I found a good use for some bubble wrap and sealed over the door from the basement to the stairs leading outside. The cold air was coming through the door with enough force that I could feel it with my hand. First I used duct tape to tape the joint of the door and the door frame. Then I used some calk in some areas where to door frame met the wall. Then I used screws through wooden lath to hold the bubble wrap in place over the door frame. I also pushed some bubble wrap into a window well to help insulate it. This next year, when it is warmer, I'm going to try a few more ways to keep it warmer in the studio.


I fired a bisque kiln yesterday, and removed the pieces today after it had cooled. Here's a shot showing some clay pads to be used when glaze firing.

More clay pads of various sizes.

A bowl, a basket, and a textured tray. The basket has holes drilled to hold the handle - yet to be attached once it is glazed and fired.

Here is a photo of another one of the one-hand plates for Dad. It allows one to eat one-handed by shoving the food to the edge, and it flips up onto the spoon or fork.

This large platter barely fits into the smaller kiln. If it were any bigger, I would have to fill the larger kiln in order to fire it.

Here's a pic of all the items I removed from the bisque kiln.

This next photo shows something called a Giffin Grip. It is used to hold pots on the wheel while trimming work is done. The fingers on the unit slide inward on spiral tracks as the top portion of the Grip is turned. After the Grip has the pot well held, the whole unit turns when the potters wheel is used. Pretty nifty (and convenient) way to trim in my opinion.

I've already waxed the bottoms to the bisque pots, so next up is to do the glazing and get a glaze kiln loaded and fired. Have fun everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment