Sunday, June 14, 2009

Unloading the kiln

I fired a kiln load of glazed pieces yesterday, and opened the kiln today. Here are some photos to share of a bunch of the results.

As you can see in the photo above, things are looking pretty good. No glaze runs or problems with pots falling over or slumping. Yay!

A quick shot of me as I'm about to unload the kiln. I'm happy with what I'm seeing!!!

The pots were still fairly warm, so wearing the welding gloves for protection. I really like the way the glazes melted on the outside of this bowl. It was an experimental combination of two glazes, so I'm very happy with the results! Awesome!

Here is one of the extruded coil pieces.

The leaf is so thin that I can pick it up without burning my fingers, even though the kiln is still fairly warm. I'm still not certain what I will do with the ceramic leaves I made, but it certainly is interesting how thin I was able to make them.


A nice pitcher, and the glazes turned out well.


A multi-colored vase.

This unique pot had a twine dipped in liquid clay and then wrapped around it. Some of the clay was so fragile that it fell off during the bisque firing. I'm glad what remained stayed on during the glaze firing!

A puppy dog flask.

This interesting pattern was made with the reaction of the glazes to the textured slip. Very interesting experiment, do you agree?

A 'corked' bottle.

Another extruded coil piece.

A very small squared off bowl with an interesting glaze pattern.

A matching set of bowls.
All in all, I'm very happy with the results. One or two pieces did not turn out as expected, so I may end up reglazing them to see if I can get a different result.


This plaque is called "The Path We Take" and it sybolizes the experiences we encounter from the decisions we make in our lives. The plaque also undulates, partly to represent some of the 'hills' we have to climb similar to the challenges we overcome during our trip through life... plus the wavey design casts an interesting shadow on the wall when the piece is hung.


The leaves are made of a thin layer of liquid clay that was spread on a leaf, then fired to burn off the leave and leave the clay. The clay leaf is then glazed, resulting in a very interesting ceramic leaf. Cool, huh?

Here is a photo of all the pieces that came out of the kiln.

3 comments:

  1. Quite a few pieces out of one firing . Very interesting to see how it's done from start to finish . It's almost like taking a Class in Pottery making . There are still FREE classes around ... I knew it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! They have turned out really well. Congrats ! Every thing looks really good.The blue pot with the twine wrapped, and the corked bottle look really amzing.Great work Carl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Arnold and Najwa... you both are very kind. I am trying to prepare for an art fair sale on Saturday, so am hoping to do well there.

    ReplyDelete