Monday, November 2, 2009

Some recent pottery pieces, and more on the way

I loaded the kiln with some greenware pieces today and am doing a bisque firing. Some of the pieces are pots made by one of my sisters, but the majority of them are ones I have made recently. I wanted to have some pots ready for a Raku workshop I'm teaching on Friday in case anyone needs to purchase some pieces for the workshop. It is a potluck workshop, so I always look forward to sampling the great food that is brought. I'll have to decide what to make as a dish to pass. Usually I just make Rice Crispy treats, but I'm thinking of perhaps baking a pumpkin pie instead this time. I'll see how much time I have available on Friday and decide from there. A peek into the kiln before starting the firing process.

The venting attached pulls the fumes out of the kiln and exhausts them outside.

I made some other pots today too, so those should be ready to bisque fire in a couple of days if I get them trimmed in time.

Here is one of my cats trying to tell me something... probably "FEED ME!!!".
Some of my recent finished pieces follow. I hope you enjoy them.

The above is a large platter - approximately 14" in diameter.

Another look at the platter.

A colorful dish.


The above bowl has some interesting steps carved into the side, giving it an Art Deco-ish look.

Two more bowls.

The above bowl has a niche carved out that is meant to hold chopsticks in place.

The above photo shows a set of dishes I made recently using a tape-resist technique. I like the looks of the striping. It is made using four different glazes... two glazes are applied before the tape is removed, and two glazes after.

4 comments:

  1. Or that bowl could be use as an ashtray afterwards to hold a cigarette. That would go well over in China. Nice looking pieces of work. Carl. I remember making Rice Crispy Squares also ... that's the way to a girl's heart. I'm not kidding, I once had a marriage proposal during my Craft Service days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh ha , so it's Rice Crispies ... that's the secret . So Carl , I'll take eight of them Rice Bowl's ( they do come with the Chopsticks ) I hope so . I need some more for Qing . haha
    Instead of Rice , it will be Rice Crispy's for Dinner's ... and I will see MUCH love afterward's . Hope your right Chong ?
    Carl , remember Pumpkin Pie in Kiln ... no more than ten seconds !
    Waiting for the rest of your pieces to be finished . Good work Carl .

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Carl, I love the pieces that you show us here. And the information that comes off this blog is astounding! Rice Crispy Squares lead to marriage?? Really Chong??? That was one of the funiest things I read all day.

    I do really like that chopstick holder. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the scoop for you nosey brothers ... I was serving my home-made Rice Crispy Squares on set when a cute Italian wardrobe lady said ... "Rice Crisy Squares" !!! ... Marry Me !!! ... and she wasn't joking !!! It's a sign that a man knows how to make comfort food for their ladies. So Carl ... with knowing how to make pies, you're a very eligble man ... LOL !!! Sorry Martin, "Mud Pies" don't count.

    ReplyDelete