Saturday, January 30, 2010

2010 - a year of change

Hello again. It seems that 2010 is going to be a year of changes. I'm not saying they are all good changes... but time does keep moving forward, so change is inevitable.


My beloved pet (and good friend) Tiger Cat died, leaving his brother and me to mourn our loss. In one way, Tiger has saved the life of his brother, as Hero's checkup at the vet found a hyperactive thyroid for which he now receives medication.


As for Tiger's remains, they are being kept 'on ice' until spring when he will be buried on the farm where he was born. Many of the people that do not own pets may have a difficult time understanding the loss, but I feel I've lost more than just a pet with Tiger's passing. Hopefully the same 'time' that is bringing change will also help to soften this feeling of loss.


Enough of the sad and on with the show...


We recently had one of those very strange days where ice crystals formed on everything outside... it makes for a magical-looking environment, and is always fun to enjoy.





I've been trying to spend time in my basement studio, but it seems difficult to do much there when the weather is so cold. Here is a look at the thermometer in the studio AFTER the heat has been running for several hours. No wonder that clay feels cold!



Notice I'm wearing an insulated vest and there is an electric heater on the floor next to me. Oh, and I'm also wearing long-johns. (No, I'm not going to show you a photo of that!) LOL.


I decided to make a few turtles, so the above photo shows me holding a shell previously shaped and allowed to harden a bit. Next is to make the other parts, so another slab on my roller is in order, as the photo below shows some clay about to be rolled.

The next photo shows the pieces made from the slab just rolled. They now need to 'set up' for a while so they can be attached to the shell made previously. Once attached, then the whole turtle will need to rest until moisture equalization is reached, upon which a slow drying process can be started until the piece is 'bone dry' and ready for the bisque firing.



More interesting photos of the clay works coming soon! Now to find some of that left-over stir fry and have something to eat... yummy!

5 comments:

  1. Im very sorry to hear about Tiger ! I know how it feels to lose a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also sorry to hear about Tiger . I know exactly how ones feels . It's like a Family member , when you have had a certain Pet .. no matter what kind . I've lost a Parrot , that I was attached to for many year's . You having had two Cat's , that might make the one remaining even more sad .. then , we realize .

    Thanks as alway's for the interesting step by step info . on you very nice Work . Fire up the Kilm and leave the door open for heat . haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Najwa and Arnold, for your kind words about Tiger... he was really very special.

    Your suggestion about the kiln made me laugh, Arnold. If only the electric bill wouldn't be so high afterwards... LOL. I actually do get some residual heat from the kiln as it cools, so it doesn't all go to waste. I have to vent the kiln air outside for a while though to get rid of any dangerous gases given off by the clay as it heats up. After that time, the heat gets radiated into the studio room... yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Carl. Thank you for continuing your blog into 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about Tiger :( Hope 2010 brings a lot of joys to you and your loved ones.

    I've been looking at some of your pottery and its really cool. Keep up the amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete