Thursday, December 3, 2009

New addition to the studio

I recently made a trip to Minneapolis and purchased a slab roller - a device used to (you guessed it) roll out slabs of clay to an even thickness. I had to disassemble it in order to be able to carry it down into my basement studio, and then reassemble it there for use. The metal is a nice strong gauge of steel, so I'm actually pretty happy with the unit.

Here is a photo of the base as it is being assembled.

And the next photo shows the roller unit, waiting to be attached to the base.

The 'steering wheel' is used to turn the rollers.

Here is a photo of the unit fully assembled. The only 'complaint' I have with it is that the output table is too short. I will probably build an extension to the table at some point. I really do like this new tool for my studio!!!

Here is a large slab molded into the top of a trash can lid to make a large saucer shaped vessel.

This luminary was made using slabbed clay, and some trim lace for a decoration.


These little guys are actually egg cups for eating soft-boiled eggs. A customer wanted a set of six of them, so I made a bunch to be sure that enough turn out in case of problems in the glazing.

Here they are after the bottoms have been trimmed.

This hand-built piece was made with some non-slip drawer liner as a texture.


I think the slab roller will quickly pay for itself, as there are many projects for me to try it on.

3 comments:

  1. That new device surely seems very helpful ! All the best for all your upcoming work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice addition to all your other Tool's that make the Job easier and give you the opportunity for many other project's in your field .

    Does the press also do Dumpling dough ? If yes ... where can we get one ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Najwa! And LOL Arnold! Yes, I suppose it could be adapted to make dumplings... on a large scale! Hey, maybe it will finally make enough to fill both Martin and Chong in one sitting???? ;)

    ReplyDelete