Friday, June 12, 2009

Another kiln load ready

Hi Everyone! It has been a while since I last posted, so I thought I should update my blog. First let me show you some pottery (the part I like - haha).



Here I am next to the kiln I just loaded tonight with pottery pieces waiting to be fired. They are coated with glaze and the kiln is set up to fire them to a temperature of about 2230F (cone 6 for those that know the cone system). I plan to start the firing process tomorrow early in the afternoon. It usually takes 10 hours to do the glaze firing, as the temperature is slowly ramped up by throwing switches on the front of the kiln which control the individual electrical heating elements. Since mine is a manual kiln, I use a kitchen timer to alert me every two hours to make the next adjustment.


Here are some pieces I've fired within the past year. The lumpy pot on the left is actually called "Memories" and is a way to show how the memories we collect throughout our lives shape and define us... thus the 'lumps' pushing out to form our life with the vessel itself symbolizing our being. I know... kinda deep stuff... sorry. The center piece is a jewelry box. In making four different jewelry boxes, I've determined that they are not a way to make money, as they take too much time to make unless giving them as a gift to someone. (I.e., not worth making to sell.) The platter is one of my favorites, as the pattern around the edge is interesting, and the carving in the center helps to create the look of great depth to the glaze. And the colors are pretty neat too! :D





This photo is one I submitted recently for an art fair registration, so hopefully it will pass the jury process and allow me to sell my wares at the art fair come September. The large covered jar on the left has man different glazes on it and was quite the challenge to handle. The bowl in the center actually only uses three glazes, but the overlap of the glazes creates even more colors. The vase on the right is actually done with a Raku process, and part of that process is to 'smoke' the vase as it cools to make the cracks show up better.
Li and I are still writing back and forth. I sent her flowers and chocolates recently just because I thought it would be nice for her to receive a surprise. Besides, how often does a lady receive flowers out of the blue? Hopefully she enjoys them both. It seems she is trying to find a buyer for her fashion clothing shop there in Nanning, and once she sells it, she will be moving back to her hometown to work in her family's store. I'm not sure if that means our communications will be lost, or if she can still stay in touch with me. I'm hoping for the latter, and perhaps if the fates smile upon us, maybe someday we will be able to meet.
The weather forecast for tomorrow is for some sunshine (finally!) so maybe my friend Ning and I will have some good luck selling some of our pottery at the farmers market tomorrow morning. Next weekend we have an art fair on Saturday, so we have been trying to get things prepared for that event for the past couple of weeks. I've had a local metals shop make me some weights for the canopy (tent) we will be using to help hold it in place in case of wind. The weights should be 40 to 45 lbs each, and I have asked for 8 of them to be made (two for each leg of the canopy). At least the chances of the canopy staying in place are much better this way. (crossing fingers now!) lol Wish us luck for our upcoming sale!

2 comments:

  1. Carl ... I wish you luck !!! Haha

    I love that Large Covered Jar , what would I be lookind at , if I was to buy this ? If you don't mind me asking .

    If you have a Friend in Li , she will continue writing even after she goes back home , I promise you .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arnold! Thanks for the good luck wish! I am going to try to sell the large covered jar for $150. If you want to know more about it or see other photos, just send me an email. Don't worry about asking the price on something if you are interested. I don't mind at all.

    Yes, I hope Li and I can keep writing for a long time, although my Chinese friend here said that she thinks it will have to stop if I find another lady. She may be right, but for now, I'm still hoping that Li and I can possibly work something out with her parents... eventually. Will have to see if that really is the case as time passes. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, or maybe something will come of it... who is to know?

    ReplyDelete